‘The screen’ workshop (day 2 of 2)
‘I was very concerned about working collaboratively, I have never found it easy but this has worked really well.’
‘I would never have used a split frame camera, a gimmicky tool like that seemed too much like a crutch, but by the second day I was beginning to get used to its potential’
‘I have been guilty of not considering how my work is presented in a gallery setting, so the emphasis during this project on the installation of work as much as creating it has been eye opening and highly beneficial.’
Some quotes from students as we discussed their work made over the last 2 days. We finished day 2 with an exhibition of the work that was made, in fact the first exhibition in South Kiosk’s new gallery space.
16mm film dyeing, scratching and hand wound
These images show the group working with 16mm film. They used some pre-existing footage of animals in Australia. First they dyed the film then scratched into the surface, isolating the animals, then they choose to present it in the editing viewer with the audience having to manually turn the reels of film.
Images showing the overlaid effect of 3 projections. Using now traditional high end digital kit, including Canon 5D mk2 and HD projectors, this group overlaid the projections and deliberately distorted the frames and the keystoning
This group used old split screen film cameras to make prints. They gave up control of the prints by using a 1 hour print facility and used the serendipitous moments in the 4 split images and the cropping decisions made my someone else. After taking pictures independently the group that collaborated on the hanging the prints. This was a fascinating process of negotiation, a certain frustration but after several re-hangs a solution that all were happy with.
8mm camera less film
2 groups worked directly onto 8mm film and explored a variety of ways to present these films.
by projecting into a mirror the film could be focused on a small part of the wall high up in the gallery
The 2nd group working with 8mm film labouriously worked on a long length of film adding text, colour and texture.
Using old consumer technology like 8mm projectors from the 1970s can be very challenging as the projectors can be temperamental. After much fiddling we eventually got this longer film working, here is a short extract: